New years are all about new resolutions. Like most people I have been thinking about what to improve in 2018. Last year has definitely been challenging, my personal life took a turn off the road, and my professional life is lacking a sense of fullfilment. So basically, I am in a stand point where I need to reinvent my life. For the past years, my new years resolutions have been 'eat healthier', 'exercise more', 'read more book' and so on. Usually by the end of January, I was already back to old habits, tired of myself for not being able to stand the ground. This year shall be different, because this year is about activities and ideas that fuel creativity and inspiration.
1) SEE ART
I really enjoy going to museums. It elevates the mood and gives you a new perspective on things. Sadly, I have not been good at making use of Copenhagen's (and the rest of Denmark's) wide selection of cultural offers.
- Louisiana (again) - this could be an interesting exhibitions considering our digital age
- Carlsberg Glyptoteket - super instagrammable don't you think? ;)
- Arken Museum of Modern Art
- Tycho Brahe Planetarium's exhibitions 'MADE IN SPACE'
- Gl. Strand
- The Museum of National History is showing over 200 portraits of famous people shot by Søren Solkær
- ARoS in Aarhus
Unfortunately Ordrupgaard and Copenhagen Contemporary are both closed for 2018, otherwise they would both be high on the list.
2) ATTEND LOTS OF FESTIVALS & (Networking-) EVENTS
Attending (networking) events and festivals is fun and challenging. You meet a lot of like-minded people, get inspired by new people, you are kept up with new trends, but you also have to put yourself out there. The travel/creative industry has a lot to offer, and the below "festivas" are those that I would like to cross of my list this year:
Do you know more? Hit me up.
3) DIY hOME PROJECTS
A couple of month ago I moved into my new apartment. The place is wonderful, but it needs a little bit of love. Since I have a weakness for design and interior, Pinterest is of course one of my best friends. I have already gathering a lot of inspiration for how to furnish the apartment. Yet, I want to go further than that and start becoming a little more handy. So eventually, I will have a little serious of DIY projects.
- Painting the entire apartment (not so much diy - but it has to be done :D)
- Setting up metro tiles in the kitchen (well, that is going to be interesting) - I found this great tutorial on one of my fav danish blogs.
- Kitchen make-over - I am absolutely in love with Reform's front pieces for Ikea kitchens.
- Bathroom make-over - because every girls need a spa-like bathroom ;)
- Self-made hanging leather shelves would like very nice in how I imagine my kitchen to look like.
4) LEARNING NEW SKILLS
Even though learning new skills seems sort of ambitious in a busy and hectic life, I strongly believe that the intrinsic reward you get out of it is highly valuable. It can be a way to develop yourself, and boost your self-esteem when you discover you are good at something new. Also on a professional basis, it is important to stay curious and keeping the hunger to be better. As there are a thousand skills to learn, I want to focus on the beneath 4, as I believe they can thrive me on different levels.
- Handlettering - please, can I live off handlettering? :D
- Indesign & Photoshop - I know the basics, but for the sake of this blog and because I really like "playing" with these programs, I want to become a pro. Any suggestions on nice courses?
- Marble Matter - I attended a mini-course during Finders Keepers in December, and I was sold - I need to practice this more and make beautiful posters and textiles like these awesome girls.
- Spanish! Oh gosh, how I have wanted to be fluent in Spanish as long as I can remember. I have lived in Spain for 6 months, but already forgot to much. That will change. :)
5) TRAVEL & PHOTOGRAPH MORE
One of the main reasons I started a travel blog is because of photography. I used to take so many pictures, especially when traveling, and did not know what to do with all this pictures. But lately, with my first year with a fulltime job, it has become harder to just go out and shoot, as well as just travel. This I want to change! Being out with my camera gives me energy and joy, and the post-process, editing pictures, creating collages and mood boards gives me a sense of fulfillment as well. Therefore, I want to...
- ... make a list of places in and around Copenhagen, I would like to go for a shoot (you have probably guessed by now that I am a huge fan of lists).
- Make a list of new destinations I want to travel to in 2018 (already high on my list: Marrakech, Lisbon and Paris)
- Take my baby canon out for a walk at least once a month and try to capture small moments, even if it is just around my house.
- Shoot more analogue with this beautiful thing again.
- Experimenting with keeping a physical travel journal, as a contrast to my online universe.
Creativity is much about the small elements in life, as well as trying new things that inspire you. I hope pursuing the above things will get me inspired and bring some creativity back into my life.
What inspires you? How do you bring creativity into your everyday life?